Sunday, July 1, 2012

Rationality, perfectibility, and Mutability premise

Hi class,

Do I believe in rationality, perfectibility, and mutability premises?

I do believe in the rationality premise. The Rationality premise is "the belief that most people are capable of discovering the truth through logical analysis". Most people are smart enough to know if people are telling the truth or not, based on the evidence that is being provided. I for one can tell if the person is lying or not just by the things they say, how they say, and also by facial expressions or body language. The one social institute that practice this are the jury in  a court case. They decide whether or not the defendant is guilty or not based on the evidence being provided to them.

I also believe in the perfectibility premise. The Perfectibility premise is " based on the old Puritan idea that humans are born in sin but are capable of achieving goodness through effort and control". I am a Christian, and our religious beliefs are founded on the basis of the perfectibility premise. God gave us the free will do do as we please. Some people choose to do good, others choose to do bad. I for one try to do the right things even though I sometimes do bad. Church is the social institute that practice these beliefs.

I am neutral in my belief in the mutability premise. The mutability premise "assumes that human behavior is shaped by environmental factors and that the way to improve humans is to improve their physical and psychological circumstances." As humans, we make our own decisions. We can choose whether or not to let our environment to effect how we act. I come from an area where it can get extremely violent. Most people out here have a cold heart and do evil things. I even have friends that are like that, but I choose not to be that way. I chose not to let my environment shape how I act. Sadly, not everybody is like me, some people to act according to what their environment. So really, it just depends on the person.


Yes i believe in the rationality and the perfectibility premise, but I am neutral when is come to the mutability premise.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sean Bacon,
    I agree with your arguement. Your ideas on the three premises are well thought out and well supported. I also agreed with the rationality, prefectibility, and mutability premise. In terms of the rationality premise, many people can decipher when people are corrupting the truth. However, when we lack thorough evidence and reason to believe the truth we can lean on the judicial system to correct it. As a Christian believer I also believe completely in the perfectibility premise that states that we are born in sin and have the opportunity to turn our life around. Lastly, your neutral belief in the mutability premise is understandable. We are in charge of what decisions we make. Our country gives us free will to decide as we choose but suffer the consequences of our actions. Overall, I support and enjoyed your claims.
    Good Job
    -g23

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sean!
    I really liked your argument because it differed slightly from my own, and it gave me a different perspective on the subjects. Im glad that you did not choose to be the way that many in your environment chose to be! I know you feel neutral with the premise about mutability, but the way I see it i think that you were shaped by your environment in a positive way. You saw the consequences of the environment on other people and chose to go a different direction. I don't know just a thought. Thanks for the post it was enjoyable and you did a great job!
    -Lars

    ReplyDelete