Hi class
The concept I found to be very interesting is free-riding. Free-riding is defined as a person who obtains something without effort or cost. The reason I found this to to be interesting is because I have experienced this first hand. When I was junior high school, I use to free-ride all the time. We would have assignments to do, like math problems and I would pretty much get all the answers from my classmates without even attempting to find out the answers on my own. As I got older and smarter, I started doing my homework assignments on my own, with little to no help. I also learned that free riding can be very annoying. I did not realize that until it happend to me. In my english class in high school we was assigned a paper to write and it was based off a book we had to read. In class we had to work in groups and review each others rough drafts and make grammar corrections and suggest idea for the other person's paper. I just so happend to finish my paper early so I brought that paper in to class. I was working with this guy who didn't even start his rough draft. He did not start because he did not read the book. So he started to take notes for his paper, from my paper. He wrote his essay based of the information he found from my paper.
I found that to be very annoying becuase its like, I did all that work, read the book and everything and he basically copied my paper and put it into his own words and got a good grade in it. That is not right and it made me want to become a free-rider again because its like, why would I put in all this effort to do well on things if I can save myself from the stress and free-ride other people and still get good grades from it. Then I realized that I won't get far in life free-riding people, so still to this day, I put in a lot of effort and do my own work. You become a smarter person doing it that way anyways.
I like the example that you gave about yourself. I have once also been a free-rider. I used to get together with people, in middle school as well, and get all the answers from other people. I soon realized that one day those people were not going to be there and I was going to be left with nothing. I also realized that I could get the answers for myself if I would stop being lazy. People that free-ride don’t so much do it because they don’t know the answers but more because it was just easier to get it from other people. Free-riding is beneficial for no one, we may feel like it is so easy to get the answers in that moment, but eventually it will backfire.
ReplyDeletelol so true
DeleteHi Sean Bacon,
ReplyDeleteI found your post very interesting. I have been a free-rider in certain situations but have experience others free-riding off of me as well. Similar to your examples, I have been a free-rider when it came to group projects in my younger years. Recently, in my engineering 100w class there was a girl who was a free-rider during our 20 min PowerPoint presentation. She didn’t do the required work assigned to her but still received the A grade as a member of the group. Overall, I enjoyed your examples and explanations. This was a great topic that we all can relate to.
Great job
-g23
LOL thanks bro
DeleteHello Mr. Sean Bacon,
ReplyDeleteI couldn't agree more with this post! And I love that you put in your own experience. There are wayyyy took many free-riders these days and on days like today it drives me nuts! I just so happened to be going to a friends BBQ in San Francisco, I was out early playing a pick-up soccer game and was going to head to another when a friend made me (guilt tripped) into backtracking and picking her up. She didn't want to drive and didn't even offer to pay for gas. She's a great friend so I let it go but then as we are leaving to head home (2 hours AFTER I wanted to leave) another friend asked if I could take her home. She lived about ten miles out of my way home... Free-riders kill me. Especially those who don't return the favor. Thanks for writing this post and allowing me to vent, haha and for giving me a name for these type of people. I think now we will be able to point out the free-riders habits early and put a stop to them orrrr just not put up with them. Haha
Hope you had a great weekend!
Thanks Again!
ahah i feel your pain...lol and you are welcome :)
Delete