Hi class,
The research method found in 13.3 that I thought was most interesting is the Ethnographic Research. Enthnographers learn from observation and that is the exact reason I found it to be most interesting. Its interesting because the researcher "goes undercover as a participant". For example, if I wanted to discover information about why football players are so hungry all the time, I would dress up as one, try out for the team, observe and participate in the activities of a football player. Enthographers do not do this for personal interest, they do it for scientific reasons. There are actual steps and approaches in Enthographic research. The first approach is the covert role. The covert role " goes "under cover" by becoming a member of the group being studied. The second approach is over role. This is apprach is different because this one is not under cover. The people know that they are being observed. What can also help this research are field notes, and an informant. Field notes are basically notes that you take from observing and informants are the people who are willing to inform you and answer whatever questions the researcher may have.
If I were to study some aspect of deception my research question would be, why do some kids in junior high school get bullied? The research method I would use is ofcourse Enthographic, because I think it is really effective. I would also use survey research because you can hear other people's views on the situation.
Hi Sean Bacon,
ReplyDeleteEthnographic research seems to be a really exciting form of cultural study! You noted, "its interesting because the researcher "goes undercover as a participant"'. Have you seen "Never Been Kissed" or "21 Jump Street"? This statement totally reminds me of the ridiculous scenarios presented in those films! In a sense though, it seems like some of these crazy situations could actually occur for ethnographers in the field. It certainly gives me a high degree of respect for those attempting to go "undercover", and even sounds like a type of communicative, social research I would even love to get involved in!
Great post, Sean.
-TyroneQ