Sunday, July 22, 2012

Marshall McLuhan


Hi class,
In terms of media,
I agree with McLuhan's theory that the medium is the message. I do believe that the "channel through which a message is transmitted is as important as the message itself and that the channel, in fact, often determines which message will be transmitted and which will be ignored". Each form of media, television, radio, news paper etc, has its own ways of giving messages and depending on the message and viewer some are more effective than others. I believe each form of media is effective, but once again, it depends on what the message is. For the people who are trying to get a message across to other people, I'm sure they know which form of media would be more effective to use.
 
I also agree with McLuhan when he says that television is a "cool" medium. "It demands that viewers fill in detail". I believe that television is more non verbal than verbal, but that is what makes a lot of television shows, commercials, etc, entertaining. Television would be boring if it filled in every detail about the show leaving us with nothing to think about. Sometimes I don't even listen to the words, I just watch and feel in the details myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment