Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Cyber Friends

Hello

I have made friends on cyberspace. I met some weird people and some really cool people. I was invited to this social group on facebook called Nitter, by one of my good friends that I grew up with. He told me that this group is very interesting and its just like a twitter,instigram, and facebook put together, but for Nigerians. My friend is Nigerian as well, I just thought that I should mention. In this group, I have made a lot of friends and learned a lot about the Nigerian culture, more than what I already knew. Some of the members of this group I met in person and others I havent.

To be honest, the only difference I see from having a face to face friendship with someone than to have one that exist exclusively through cyberspace is the fact that I can actually hang out with my face to face friends. One is in person and the other is through the computer, thats the only difference I see. I have met weird people, and really cool people on both the computer and in person. Its still easy to talk to people whether I'm on the computer or not. I am just a very out going talkative person. Who knows, I might actually meet my cyberfriends in person one day and they will remember me and how great of a friend I am. If they are the bosses of a company or something like that, that I want to work for, they might offer me the job just because how cool I was to them. Got to treat everybody with respect.

3 comments:

  1. Hey man,

    I think a group like that could be very beneficial to learn more about your own culture. Also, what I think is great about making cyberspace friends is they can be from anywhere and they could be in any type of profession. Meeting many different types of people can potentially give you an opportunity you never knew you could. Through friends you see everyday, you usually know their other friends. But with cyberspace friends you have no idea what other friends they have.

    You could be talking one day and mention you are looking for a job, and one of your many friends in that group could know someone who is looking for help. You have the ability to make so many connections just by having friends who are not from where you are living. I agree, you should always treat people with respect, you never know if they are the boss of a company or is really good friends with someone who could help you out.

    Great post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that when it comes to meeting friends through a social group like that is awesome! Being as though all of the group members are the same culture, it almost makes it easier to built relationships off that. You guys already have an instant connection. I always find it easier to communicate with others when you have something in common because it’s a good way to get a conversation started. Finding friends in random chat sites or rooms always weird me out because you never know who you may be speaking with. The fact that there is a social group just for your culture is so cool because you know that whether or not you know them face to face, if you have an issue going on they will be there to talk to you and will be able to relate on most levels. Great job!

      Delete
  2. Hello Sean Bacon,
    I enjoyed reading your post as it has enlightened me and altered my decision on the concept. A group like this on a social network sets you up with people who you instantly are linked to. This automatic connection makes for good conversation which can lead the start of a great friendship. Originally, i opposed the fact of meeting friends by way of social networks. Now I welcome the idea, but still will rely on in person interaction to solidify this friendship. Thanks Sean for presenting a great argument which altered my thinking completely.
    Great Job,
    -g23

    ReplyDelete