Hi class,
A concept I found interesting was Sexual Harassment. Sexual harassment is an unwelcome sexual action made by a person against your own will whether it’s verbal or physical leaving a hostile environment. People commonly think that only women can be sexually harassed, but mistakenly forget that males can be victims as well. I used to work at target and I had a boss named Roxanne, who found me to be attractive. I was in need of this job, so I did not want to do anything to get myself fired. Roxanne would constantly make inappropriate sexual remarks and touched me in uncomfortable places. It eventually reached its climax and I told her she needs to stop. She then said if I wanted to continue to work there I would have to "take it like a man", so I did. For weeks the sexual harassment continued until one day she invited me to her house to have sexual intercourse with her. I then stood up for myself and told her no. She threatened to fire me. I decided not to go and I got fired. I was so furious with the situation, so I reported her to the police. They did not take me seriously at all and she got away with her sexual harassments. I believe they did not take me seriously because she was a 5'2, 150 pound women and I am a 6'3, 230 pound male. The situation was so unfair.
Sexual harassment violates the Title Vll of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and it should lead to "serious legal repercussions". In my case it did not, but in many others, it is.
Hi Sean Bacon,
ReplyDeleteI think it's really interesting that sexual harassment is still so prevalent in the modernized workplace. It seems so unprofessional, and quite frankly, "tacky". It's very "Todd Packer" (a middle-aged sexually-charged worker from NBC's "The Office"), chauvinistic, and somewhat dated in a sense. I feel like it was far more common in the 90's than it is now, to make my point clear. Workers today are trained and threatened so fiercely in most workplaces, in regards to sexual harassment and the consequences of "disturbing" coworkers or clients. Considering this, your situation is so very disturbing, and I'm deeply sorry you had to go through all of that.
Major props for standing up for yourself. Seriously.
-Tyrone Q
Hello Sean Bacon,
ReplyDeleteThis story completely disturbs me and shows how unfair our world is. If you were being the one reported for sexual harassment then the response by the police would have been different. In terms of your situation, I understand how hard that might have been on you. Attempting to work and avoid being sexually harassed can make work a difficult place to be. I’m glad you made the right decision however. As a world, we still have a long way to go. Sexual harassment plagues our world and has caused many issues amongst children and even adults which have led to deaths and various killings. We must be better.
Great Job,
-g23
Hello Bacon,
ReplyDeleteThis post is very disturbing and is not fair to the victim. The police are supposed to take care of the victim not matter the circumstances. Nowadays there are many males who are sexually harassed in the work place but their cases are not taken seriously, because law enforcement stereotype males and assume males take the action on accepting to be sexually harassed. In your case, I believe that you did the right thing by letting your manager know you were feeling uncomfortable, and told her to stop, but for her to keep at the issue after the fact completely blows my mind. I think that you made the best decision in reporting her to the police, but for them to not accept you word because of your sex and body figure is completely unjust.