Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Language Differences??

Hi class,

Do I agree that men and women use language differently? To a certain extent yes, but honestly, it depends on the person and the situation. I say this because, everybody is different. For the most part, it is known to society that women tend to have more of a sensitive style usage of language and the men have more of an aggressive style of language. With that being said; I know men that talk with more of  a vulgar aggressive language but I also know men that talk with more of a sensitive style of language. I even know men that do both. It's the same thing with a lot of women I know. I know plenty of women that talk with a more of a sensitive style of language and I know plenty of women who talk with more of an aggressive style of language, just like a guy. When I am with my male friends, I tend to talk with more of an aggressive style of language, I even do it with some of my female friends that I'm really close with. But lets say I'm in a relationship with a girl and we are trying to get intimate, obviously during, I'm not going to talk to her with an aggressive style of language (unless she is into that kind of stuff, but that is a whole different conversation..lol), I would talk to her with a more sensitive style of language to keep the mood flowing. It can also be a point in time when she does something stupid and pisses me off, obviously I'm not going to talk to her with a sensitive style of language, I would use more of an aggressive one. The same thing could go with her or any other girl as well.  But like I said, everybody is different, it just depends on the person and the situation.

So yes I agree, to a certain extent, that men and women use language differently

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sean Bacon,

    I totally agree with you. Like you mentioned, everybody is different, and it is difficult to make generalizations. I've found that women tend to be more "rough" these days, especially in the Oakland area where I live. You mentioned, "I know plenty of women who talk with more of an aggressive style of language, just like a guy." That "aggressive" style of language tends to come out more in urban and city areas, from what I've experienced. Certainly, there are exceptions to this rule, and I don't mean to put anyone in a box.

    All in all, great post.
    -Tyrone Q

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sean,

    I also agree with your claim. Society does recognize men to be very aggressive speakers while women have more sensitive and serious conversations. In addition, as you expressed, a person's style of speech depends on their attributes as well as the situation. There are men who hold sensitive conversation and women who hold aggressive ones. Simailar to your analogy, men and women change their language in expectation of a certain outcome. In the example you used, a man will alter his style of language in order to succeed in his efforts for what some call "sexual healing." Overall, I felt your response was well written in addition to being very amusing. Great job.

    ReplyDelete