Sunday, June 17, 2012

Good and Bad Speakers

Hi class

In this post I will talk about my experience with a good and bad speaker.


The best speaker I ever heard would have to be NFL linebacker Ray Lewis. I never heard him speak live but I have seen videos of him making these powerful speeches. My favorite speech and the speech that influenced me the most was the motivational speech he gave to the Miami hurricanes. You can see this video on YouTube. The strong tone in his voice is what caught my attention. It showed me that he was serious and passionate about what he was saying. He talked about hard work and effort. Ray was not the most athletic football player, but his hard work, effort and determination is what got him to NFL. It is what makes him one of the best linebackers to ever play in the NFL. The reason why that stuck out to me is because it is so true and you can relate that to more than just football. If you want something, want to become good at something, you have to work for it. Getting a good grade, building your relationship with God, becoming the boss of a really big company, anything; you have to work at it. He also talked about the how the power of respect, and how you carry yourself is extremely important. He he made a quote live by now, and it has helped me tremendously. " ....its presence and essence that determines respect......... the power to respect is never to disrespect.." This speech alone is why I believe that Ray Lewis is the best speaker I ever heard and that influenced me the most.



Just like there are really good speakers, there are really bad speakers as well. Unfortunately the worst speaker I ever heard was one of my good friends who is also my teammate. It was during our comm 40 class freshmen year during the winter session. It was our final debate and even though he did his research and all the necessary preparations for the speech, he was clearly unprepared for what he was about to go against. My friend is not very good at speaking in front of a crowd so you can tell that he was nervous. That is that is the first reason why he did bad on the speech. He forgot all the information he had to win the debate. His opponent completely roasted him and by that I mean she made him look like as if he did not not do any research at all. I wish you guys were there to witness it because it is really hard to explain. But I mean this girl clearly has been debating since she was a child and if you were there you would know  exactly what I am talking about. Even though he is my friend watching him getting demolished like that was probably the funniest thing I have ever seen in my life. He was too nervous, he forgot all his information so he was stuttering. Every attack he made on her, she had had a come back and attacked him twice as hard. It was terrible.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reader your response of the best and worse speakers you have heard. The fact that you picked Ray Lewis re-emphasized what the book discusses about audience adaptation. Though yu were not present during his speech, the fact that it was pertaining to football drew your attention. In addition, the fact that he is a success man also makes his speech that more emphatic. In terms of the worse speaker you have every heard, I can agree that several of our teammates could use help in the area of public speaking. However, its not your job to laugh at them but rather help them. Overall, I loved the structure of your response. Its clear and very well organized. Proud of you Mr. Bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea your right...Thanks family

    ReplyDelete