Hi class,
A concept that I found to be interesting after reading chapter 2 is the term definition. The term definition "....to determine, bring to an end, or settle". Yes if you read this I'm sure you are thinking to yourself, why is this concept so interesting? The reason I found this to be interesting or better yet, ironic, is because just recently I was bored and playing games on my phone and I just so happend to ease drop on somebody else's conversation. One person was making fun of the other for not knowing how to explain what the word definition means. I kept hearing a group of people laughing too so I got up and walked closer to the scene and saw that it was one teenaged boy and 15 years old getting made fun of by a bunch of people. I felt bad for the kid and stood up for him. Then I also thought to myself, I know what a definition is but I too had a hard time explaining what the word definition means, without saying the word define. Honestly I thought it was funny so when I was reading the beginning of chapter 2 and saw the word definiton, it just reminded me of the situation.
I love how you brought your real life experience when talking about the world "definition." I too have had a similar experience with that word. I often responded by saying "to define something" then they always retort "what's define?" It is one of those words that people have a very hard time giving the meaning of. It's like asking someone "what does an orange taste like?" describing a taste is equally as hard as describing a predominate word such as "definition." I applaud you in standing up for the kid. Most people would have laughed and walked away without thinking twice. We rarely think about the words that we know because we know them so well. It is in our language and we know what they mean. But when it comes explaining them, most people have trouble in doing so. Don’t feel bad. I couldn’t have giving you a definition either.
ReplyDelete